Rajma Chawal is my all time favourite!
I was introduced to this only in Delhi after I reached here for my Graduation in the year 2002.
Since then I order for this one wherever possible. And, cook whenever I want a quick delicious meal.
Only trouble being I have to soak them for over 7 hours or pressure cook really long if not soaked.
So, I announce the menu a day before I want to indulge in this & I have never been stopped. Yeah! everyone at home loves it too.
You will need:
- Rajma - 200gms
- Onions - 3 (medium & chopped)
- Tomatoes - 2 (big) or Puree (I used Puree)
- Green chillies - as per tolerance (I used 3)
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
- Cloves - 4
- Cinnamon sticks - 2
- Black Cardamom - 1
- Ghee/Oil - for frying
- Salt - as per taste
Let's cook it up:
Soak the Rajma overnight & boil it with some salt & ginger. Check the below pic.
Keep it aside to add into the curry we prepare.
Heat a wok & add the ghee, cloves, cinnamon sticks & black cardamom. Put the chopped onions & saute till it browns & then pour the tomato puree & ginger garlic paste into this. Check pic below.
Now, its time to add the boiled Rajma into this curry. Add water as per the consistency required. Rajma curry is supposed to be thick so mash some of the Rajma in the curry to gain the thick consistency.
- The best accompaniment of Rajma is plain boiled rice
- If you wish, u may add some more masalas like red chilli powder, garam masala powder etc
- Serve with some onion salad or potato fry