I am back from my vacation so its time for me share with you all my pending recipes for
ADAI - Is a salty pancake similar to dosa.
- Rice - 2 cups
- Arhar Dal - 1 cup
- Black Urad Dal - .5 cup
- Dried Whole Red Chillies - 4
- Green Chillies - 4
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1 pinch
- Curry Leaves - Few
- Black Peppercorns - 5
- Salt - As per taste
Soak the rice, arhar dal & urad dal for 3 -4 hours. Now Grind them in a mixer/grinder along with all the other ingredients till the consistency of the paste becomes a little coarse. When I say little kindly ensure that it is only little coarse rest batter should be smooth enough to make the pancakes. You can check it by taking a small dab between your fingers & rubbing it. Don't worry if the paste comes fine as the adai can still be made.
Now, either you can start preparing it now or else wait for a few hours for the batter to ferment & then start preparing them.
It is to be made similar to dosa on the hot griddle while brushing it with some oil so it cooks well & comes off easily if not using a non stick pan.
- You can use white urad dal instead of the black ones too
- I have tried mixing both black & white together also & even that tastes great
- Adai can be eaten as a snack or even for breakfast
- It is high in protein as we use lentils in it
- It can be served with Jaggery pieces, tomato sauce or any sweet & tangy chutney
- You can add chopped onions to the batter also