Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sweet & Tangy Thick Tomato Preserve

My Grandma used to prepare this for me each time I went to Chennai during my summer vacations. She is no more! But my mother makes it every time I demand for it. This is mom made which I picked up when I had gone home to see my parents. 
It's delicious & simply irresistible!

Ingredients:

  • Ripe Tomatoes - 1  kg
  • Red Chilli Powder - 3 tbsps
  • Jaggery - 100 gms
  • Asafoetida - A pinch
  • Tamarind - 25 gms
  • Salt - As per taste
  • Oil - 100 gms


Method:
Grind the tomatoes & the tamarind to make puree. On low flame keep a wok & pour the tomato puree, add salt, asafoetida & red chilli powder. Cover the wok with a lid for 2 minutes. Now take off the lid & pour some oil. Break the jaggery into small pieces & add it to the puree. Do not pour all the oil in one go. Slowly once in a while keep adding 2-3 spoons & cover it with a lid for a few minutes again repeat the process till all the oil is consumed. Now let it cook on low flame till it gets thick & starts leaving the wok. It should not stick to the wok. Your tomato preserve is ready within 1 hour if prepared on gas stove. In a microwave it will take around 15 minutes only.

Note:

  • The red chilli powder can be used according to your tolerance to its taste
  • The shelf life of this preserve is over a month
  • You can use it as a jelly/jam on toast or with rolls & chappatis
  • I enjoy it with Idlis & Dosas too


Tomato on FoodistaTomato

Travel Ideas

Do Not Copy - All the material unless otherwise mentioned are copyright of © Relish Delish... .

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected